Sunday, April 5, 2015

A few steps closer!

After this weekend we are a few steps closer to getting this journey started!

Since it was going to be Easter and we were going to meet the guys I decided to try my new Jamberry's. My sisters IM had sent me these and my others hadn't come in the mail yet so figured why not have the good luck green! 


Thanks to our very helpful coordinator at the clinic we were able to get an appointment for our psych evaluation and the MMPI. It was perfect timing since we were going to be in Maryland visiting family anyways!!

The first part was a meeting with a social worker. M and I both had to go and discuss multiple parts of the journey. We discussed our past, our relationship, and our expectations of the journey. I actually thought it was rather enjoyable talking to the social worker, she was really nice. I was going to ask for a pic but I was afraid she would think I was crazy!

Next step was for me to take the MMPI. This is a true/false test that consists of over 500 questions. I was so nervous about the test and was afraid to read up about it in advance. I did hear a lot from friends though and I was worried!  I know I'm not crazy but it consisted of some really weird questions and I'm afraid I interpreted some different than I should have. One asked if I feel bad for asking for help from friends if I can't reciprocate. I never ask for help from friends unless I really am stuck in a situation. I always offer to reciprocate, but when I can't then it's ok. I don't feel bad about it because I know I had no other choice!  That's really just the relationship that I have with my awesome group of friends. We always help eachother when we need it, it's not about returning favors or anything like that. Looking back I think that makes me look like a jerk, and I totally should have answered differently!  Then another asked if I think I'm attractive. Well I don't think I'm ugly so hopefully saying I'm attractive doesn't add to me looking like a jerk.  A third that I remember is it asked if I secretly feel good about someone I don't like getting what they deserve when they do something wrong. Well yes, I do feel better when that happens. Is that a bad thing?  That's just three examples of the questions that I've been overanalyzing!  I am eager to hear how I did and should find out by the end of the week. She did mention if I don't get scores they approve of I can take another test, but hoping it doesn't come to that!

Let me say a big thank you to my sister and her husband for babysitting the kiddos while we did all of this and the next day for our meet up with the guys!  We couldn't have done it without them. 

Here is a pic of Micah and I right before the psych eval. 

And a picture of the donuts we had to have since we were near a Krispy Kreme!  The "air filled treat" as our IF K says.


Speaking of treats, I brought some of the Easter cookies that I made for our clinic coordinator. 

The next day was the day we got to meet our IFs in person. We were so excited!  
We made a little gift basket full of stuff from NC for them. Well I put it together, but M helped pick out the stuff. 

This meeting was so important to us because we want the opportunity for a good relationship during and after the journey so it was important that we really felt comfortable and got along with them.  The plan was to meet them at Starbucks without the kids then bring them back to my sister's house to meet the rest of the family. Little M (our middle son) was not in a good mood so he came with us. Here is us right before we left. 

My husband, M, insisted on wearing his superhero tshirt since that's how he usually dresses when not at work, and he said they would have to accept that!

They ended up getting to Starbucks a few minutes early. They were super sweet and offered to have our drinks ready for us when we got there!

Now before I talk about meeting them I must say that I was really nervous about deciding if I should hug them or not. I am not a hugger normally and it sometimes feels really awkward. My friends would be super proud of me because I did hug them and I am happy to say it felt completely natural!  That started everything off perfectly!

We talked for an hour and a half about so many things. They were so easy to talk to and we really enjoyed the time we spent with them. We have a lot in common!  Probably would have talked a lot longer if I wasn't worried about leaving my sister with the boys for longer.  I rode with the guys back to my sister's house. Kind of nice riding in a spotless car, I made sure to inform them it wouldn't stay that way when their baby comes along.  

We got back to my sister's and I was a little nervous about bringing them into a house with 6 kids under 7 years old.  They were so sweet and generous and they brought Easter baskets full of candy for all of the kids!  Trying to win the kids over maybe?  I think it worked!  They really feel like good friends already and I am so excited to be on this journey with them!  Thanks G and K for being such a great match!

Next up is a home visit from our agency coordinator, CE. So excited about her coming to visit because we get along so well already. 

Also this week I will get the MMPI results, praying to "pass" and not have to worry about that anymore!

I'll end with an Easter pic of my family. Happy Easter everyone!!



No comments:

Post a Comment